Synthetic or anabolic steroids are basically manufactured in laboratories related to male sex hormone testosterone. Synthetic drugs promote skeletal muscle growth and develop male sexual characteristics in both male and female. Synthetic drugs were developed in the 1930s to treat Hypogonadism, a condition in which the testes will not be able to produce sufficient testosterone for normal growth, sexual functioning, and development. The core medical uses of these synthetic drugs are to treat delayed puberty, impotence, muscle wasting disease among HIV-infected patients. Unfortunately, all synthetic drugs are not manufactured under laboratory and most of them are produced in underground markets. So, they might not adhere to the quality, standard, protocols, and safety measures. Most of the athletes and bodybuilders run around to buy such synthetic drugs without a prescription.
Two kinds of synthetic supplements are often used in medical treatments such as autoimmune disorder and inflammatory conditions like asthma, allergy, arthritis, delayed puberty. The said problems are solved by exogenously administered steroids. However, it is not medically recommended for bodybuilding and performance enhancement. Synthetic drugs have both short and long term negative effects among men and women.
Synthetic drugs & effects
The downside effects could range from headache, liver damage, heart and brain dysfunction. Any drug which is similar to other hormones can influence on hormone glands, hormone functions, metabolic, cardiovascular, central nervous, musculoskeletal systems and functions.
Severe acne vulgaris, weight gain, insomnia, and headaches are common short-term effects. Clotting disorders, increased vitality of injury to muscles, tendons, ligaments, premature heart attack are considered as long term effects of synthetic steroids. They are good friends when used properly, but when misused they will not only trigger physical changes but also affect physiological behavior.
Synthetic drugs abusement:
Most of the users abuse synthetic steroids by orally taking or injecting into the muscles than the recommended dosage. The doses may be 10-100 times higher than the prescribed dose to treat medical conditions. Synthetic steroids are also applied on the skin as gel, patch, and cream. Some of the athletes miscalculate that they can avoid unnecessary side effects by taking in the ways such as:
- Stacking – Combing two or more varieties of anabolic drugs
- Cycling – Intaking doses for a period of time, stopping it and again resuming
- Pyramiding – Gradually increasing the dose or frequency of abuse, reaching the peak and slowly tapering off
- There is no authenticated proof that these practices reduce the harmful medical effects of the drugs.
There are some extracted data which analyze about the usage of synthetic drugs as:
- Muscle and bodybuilding magazines stimulate the teenagers to use synthetic drugs
- More than 50% of anabolic users do feel irritability and intolerance than non-anabolic users
- On an average 50% of teenagers agree that it is quite easy to get synthetic drugs without a prescription
- Regular synthetic steroid users are examined with liver function abnormalities
- Synthetic steroids such as Dianabol, Anadrol, deca Durabolin, Trenbolone, Winstrol are either taken as standalone or as stacking.
Intentionally the synthetic drugs were discovered to treat underweight soldiers in order to improve their weight and performance during the world war. Even for some medical conditions they are supporting as exogenously administered steroids to improve the ailments.